You are here
Dining Services Master Plan 2018
UMD is in the process of developing a new residential complex that will include up to 580
additional residence hall beds, where 280-350 beds will be included in Phase 1 (anticipated
opening Fall 2021). Relative to this, the University administration retained Envision Strategies to
assist the University in creating a campus dining master plan that assesses current dining
capacities, future needs, and identifies the types of dining offerings that will need to be
available to meet the expectations of the campus community today, and into the future.
Specifically, the University is interested in knowing if Dining Services should expand Superior
Dining Center, add a residential dining venue as part of the new residence hall project, and/or
provide additional retail venues.
UMD Dining Services is a successful program, financially stable, and strives to provide the
variety of options and services desired by the campus community. Envision Strategies
recommends the development of: 1) new vibrant retail venues, 2) the addition of a new dining
hall within or near the new residence hall, and 3) a later renovation/addition to Superior Dining
Center to include additional food stations and seating. Other opportunities to enhance the
overall dining experience and program include:
- Incorporating more contemporary styles of service including made to order, exhibition cooking methods, and to-go options
- Modifying the meal plans to better meet student needs and expectations
- Developing a dining brand and comprehensive marketing and communications plan
- Creating technology interfaces to improve communications
- Renovating Kirby Student Center to improve operational efficiencies
Full details of the Envision Strategies recommendations can be found here, or by clicking the image below.