You are here

Travel Support

***All non-essential travel, both domestic and international, by faculty, staff, and students for University purposes, regardless of funding source, is prohibited through May 31, 2020. See President Gabel's March 10 announcementMarch 11 messsage, and March 24 message for additional information.*** Requests for travel support during this period cannot be considered.

Request for Graduate Student Travel Support

The Graduate School encourages graduate students to attend and present at conferences as part of its mission to deliver high-quality graduate-degree programs that foster students' advanced academic and professional development (Strategic Plan:  Campus Goal 3). To this end, students may apply for funds to be used in partial support of travel for the dissemination of their scholarly or artistic contributions associated with their graduate studies at UMD, or for research in certain cases. Examples include presentation of research from a thesis or project paper at an academic conference, or travel for performance as part of a Master of Music degree program. It is expected that the student will attempt to secure other support for travel through the advisor, program, department, and college.

What to do:

1. Download and fill out the form.

2. Email it as an attachment to the Director of Graduate Studies in your program​, and request approval/support​. Use "Travel Support Request" in your subject line.

3. ​If approved, t​he DGS will forward the attachment​ ​to​ Erik Brown (,​ the Associate Vice Chancellor for Graduate Education and Research at UMD, and the Graduate Office (, also using "Travel Support Request" in the subject line. 

4. The AVC will reply to the DGS and the student with a decision.

5. If ​approved, the funds will be transferred to your program office, and you will work with staff there to request reimbursement of expenses up to the awarded amount.

Note:  Use of University funds for travel must be in compliance with University Policy. Traveling internationally on University business requires registration of the travel.

Per diem rates may be found here.