You are here
Resources for International Graduate Students
When you’re ready to apply for admission to the University of Minnesota Duluth, be sure to visit the pages below.
Congratulations on your admission to the University of Minnesota Duluth! To ensure that your travel and arrival experience is as seamless as possible, be sure to complete the following steps:
- Request Your Visa Document from the central Graduate School Admissions Office.
- View Your Pre-arrival Information (for Duluth students).
- Complete the International Student Preparation Course for Duluth students. You will receive information about this from the UMD International Student Services Office. If you were admitted to the Duluth campus, please be sure to complete the Duluth course.
- Pay the SEVIS Fee.
- Visa Wait Times - Find out the wait times for visa appointment interviews and estimated visa processing times at U.S. consulates worldwide.
Arrival to UMD
International graduate students with assistantships should plan to arrive at least 7 days before the start date of your assistantship contract so that you can apply for your social security number. This is very important because the University requires completion of all employment authorization procedures no later than the first day of your contract. Fall 2019 contracts start on 8/19/19. Spring 2020 contracts start on 1/2/2020. (If you do not have an assistantship you do not need to arrive 10 days early).
- Graduate Student Orientation - Tentative Date: Thursday, August 27, 2020| 10am -12:15pm new students | 1pm - 2:15pm new and returning grad assistants | Schedule TBA
Graduate Student Orientation is held every fall during the week before classes start. The schedule will be linked above. This general orientation covers topics such as graduate student services and campus resources, as well as health insurance information and enrollment for new graduate assistants with eligible appointments. There is no general Graduate Student Orientation in spring. Check with your program about any program-specific orientation sessions.
- There is also a mandatory international graduate student orientation in fall and spring. You will receive information about this from the International Student Services Office.
All new and transfer students on an F-1 or J-1 visa are required to attend Document Check to verify their immigration status after their arrival on campus. Students will not be allowed to register for classes until they complete Document Check. Visit the Document Check page on the International Student Services Office website for complete information.