You are here
Please Read the entire ride-along agreement form. If you have any questions be sure to ask before your ride-along. You will be required to sign the same form prior to your ride-along.
UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA DULUTH
RIDE-ALONG OBSERVATION SESSION AGREEMENT
As a condition of being permitted to participate in a Ride-Along Observation Session with the University of Minnesota Duluth Police Department (UMDPD), I (“Rider”) agree to the Waiver and Release, and to abide by the Rules set out below.
RULES: During the Ride-Along Observation Session:
- Rider will follow all instructions and orders of the assigned officer and all other UMDPD officers at all times.
- Rider will not carry firearms, ammunition, knives, clubs, chemical irritants, or any other weapon of any kind.
- Rider will not carry or wear any law enforcement equipment unless expressly directed to do so by the assigned officer.
- Rider will not operate UMDPD vehicles or UMDPD equipment unless expressly directed to do so by the assigned officer.
- Rider will not make physical contact with any officer, suspect, victim, witness, or any other person contacted by UMDPD, unless directed to do so by the assigned officer.
- Rider will not possess any camera, video camera, or audio recording or broadcasting device. “Device” includes cell phones and other multi-function devices capable of taking pictures, video or audio recording or broadcasting. Rider may carry a cell phone, but it must be turned off and remain in Rider’s pocket unless the assigned officer gives specific permission to talk on it. Any such calls must be completed while under the assigned officer’s direct hearing.
- Rider will not wear any clothing that bears insignia, logo, or lettering of, or similar to, any law enforcement or public safety agency or any law enforcement or public safety training agency.
- Rider will not be under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Rider will not record, store, broadcast, disclose or use any personal or confidential information of UMDPD officers, suspects, victims, or witnesses to whom he/she may be exposed.
- Officer may end the Ride-Along Observation Session at any time, at the officer’s sole discretion.
WAIVER AND RELEASE
I understand that the dangers and hazards (“Risks”) that I may encounter during a Ride-Along Observation Session may result in property damage, severe personal injury, disability, or death (“Damages”). UMDPD has no control over factors that may influence the Risks or Damages.
I voluntarily and knowingly accept full responsibility for encountering all Risks, known and unknown. On behalf of myself, heirs, successors, assigns, and anyone else who might claim through me or on my behalf, or who might have a claim arising out of, related to, or based upon any Damages, I expressly forever release, indemnify and hold harmless the UMDPD, the University of Minnesota, regents, directors, employees, and all other persons associated with the Ride-Along Observation Session (“Releasees”) from any and all loss, cost, expense or other damage of any kind, including but not limited to insurance subrogation and attorney’s fees (together and singly, “Claims”).
This RELEASE AND promise applies even to claims based in whole or in part on Releasees’ negligence and/or gross negligence, to the extent permitted by law.
The Ride-Along Observation Session is voluntary, and not a part of, or related to, my educational program, residence, or employment at the University in any way. UMDPD officers may render first aid and/or obtain medical treatment s/he deems necessary. I will be financially responsible for all costs incurred thereby, regardless insurance coverage.
I authorize the UMDPD to conduct a criminal background check on me prior to my participation in a Ride-Along Observation Session, including obtaining information from city, county, state and national criminal history data bases. UMDPD may use such information in determining whether to allow me to participate. I release the UMDPD and any entity that provides information to the UMDPD from liability in connection with this information. I certify that the information I provide for the purpose of such background check is accurate, and complete to the best of my knowledge.
The laws of the State of Minnesota govern validity, construction and enforceability of this Agreement, without giving effect to its conflict of laws principles. All suits, actions, and claims relating thereto shall be in the State Courts in St. Louis County, Minnesota.
I HAVE READ THIS LEGALLY BINDING DOCUMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS BY SIGNING IT, AND AGREE TO BE BOUND BY IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT.
Print Name: _________________
(If participant is under the age of 18, Parent/Legal Guardian’s signature also required)
I am the parent or legal guardian of _____
(Print child’s name)
(To Be Completed by UMDPD Supervisor):
Ride-Along Date/Time: ____________________________________________________
Assigned Officer: ________________________________________________________
Approving Director/Designee/Supervisor: _____________________________________