You are here
UMD Program & Affiliate Program Participants
Congratulations on your decision to study abroad! The more you prepare for your experience, the more you’ll enjoy it. Please read the carefully compiled materials, as even the most experienced travelers can find new and useful information. Be safe and have a wonderful experience.
—UMD Study Abroad Team
UMD and Affiliate program participants are required to attend an in-person orientation.
- The first half will be spent discussing general study abroad matters (registration, health & safety issues, culture, etc.)
- The second half will be program-specific. You’ll meet peers going abroad, speak with alumni from your program (when available), and discuss logistics to make your experience a success.
Upcoming Orientation Details
TBD. Due to campus closures, information will be provided when available
All students studying abroad are required to complete a mandatory online health and safety orientation. Access this orientation through your study abroad checklist following acceptance to your program.
- Orientation Presentation (Updated November 2019)
- CISI Insurance Policy
- UMD Billing Dates
- TSA (Transportation Security Administration)
- Carry-on Luggage Liquid Rules (toiletries, aerosols, gels, creams, pastes, shampoo etc.)
- What Can I Bring? Search for items that can/cannot be in your carry on or checked bags
- Preparing to Study Abroad
- Electricity & wall plugs while abroad
- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) World Plugs List
- Verify the plug type that fits outlets at your destination.
- Get the correct adapter plug for that outlet. This isn’t needed if you’re headed to a destination that has U.S.-compatible outlets.
- Verify the voltage in the outlets at your destination.
- Verify the voltage input on each of your devices. Look for this info on its cord, plug or somewhere on the device itself.
- Get the correct voltage conversion accessory: This isn’t needed for dual-voltage devices (many are) or if your single-voltage device matches your destination’s voltage.
- Culture Shock
- Life Abroad (alcohol safety & student behavior)
- UMD Safety Abroad
- University of Minnesota Education Abroad Alcohol & Drug Policy
- University of Minnesota Abroad Student Conduct
- Absentee Voting (register to vote or request your absentee ballot)
- VAT Refunds (for those going to European Union)
Program Specific Info
Cosponsor & Affiliate Programs
For further details to prepare for your program, refer to your program provider.