You are here

Safety & Security Planning

Airplane wing over Argentina

Safety & Security Planning

Read information below about safety and security planning


The most current information and updates about the University's response to COVID-19 and international travel can be found at the UMN Global Programs & Strategies Alliance website. Information about how the University of Minnesota is responding to the outbreak can be found on the UMN Safe Campus website.

International Travel, Health, & Security Coverage

All UMD study abroad participants are required to enroll with CISI for insurance coverage. For more information, visit our insurance page.

Registration with the U.S. Embassy Abroad

American embassies around the world are staffed by U.S. citizens and foreign nationals that perform numerous functions to help American travelers in the following areas: passport replacement, legal advice, and registration of U.S. citizens. 

  • We highly recommended that all study abroad participants register themselves online with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. 
  • UMD faculty-led short-term program participants will be registered by the program coordinator. 

Registration at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate (in the country you are visiting) makes your whereabouts known in case of an emergency. If a disaster were to occur while you are abroad, American consular officers can assist in an evacuation. 

Personal Belongings Insurance

  • Check with your family homeowners’ policy to find out whether your personal belongings are covered if a loss were to occur. 
  • If they aren't covered, consider purchasing a policy that would cover your personal possessions while abroad.

U.S. Department of State Consular Information

The Department of State’s country information pages are available for every country of the world. They describe a country's:

  • entry requirements
  • currency regulations
  • unusual health conditions
  • crime and security situation
  • political disturbances
  • areas of instability
  • special information about driving and road conditions
  • Addresses and emergency telephone numbers for U.S. embassies and consulates

In general, these pages do not give advice. Instead, they describe conditions so travelers can make informed decisions. In some dangerous situations, the Department of State recommends that Americans defer travel to a country. In such a case, a Travel Advisory Level of 3 or 4 will be given for a country or specific region within a country. University policy requires that students traveling to countries or regions designated with a Travel Advisory of level 3 or 4 obtain International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee (ITRAAC) approval.

Are you aware of your foreign country’s laws?

Living in a foreign country exposes you to different customs and different laws. What is acceptable in the U.S. may be illegal or offensive elsewhere. If arrested, you will be subject to the laws and legal procedures of the country you are currently in. If you are arrested and jailed in a foreign country, the U.S. consulate or embassy will provide you with a list of local lawyers. Assistance beyond that is minimal. Therefore, get to know foreign laws before departing.